If you are employed, and have to submit a self assessment tax return to HMRC each year, there is certain information that we will require in order to complete this section correctly:

  • Most importantly we need your P60 – this is a summary document provided by your employer by the 31st May each year. It will summarise how much salary you have received over the tax year, how much income tax has been paid, and a breakdown of your national insurance payments. It will also state how much has been deducted in student loans if you have one outstanding. It will also show your employer’s details which we also need. Unfortunately your payslips don’t provide us with enough information.
  • If you receive any benefits through your employment, you will also receive a P11d. This has to be provided to you by the 5th July each year. We will need this to be sent to us to ensure you pay the correct tax. If your benefits are provided through payroll, and taxed each month, then you will not receive one of these.
  • If you incurred any expenses through the tax year that weren’t reimbursed by your employer, but were required in order to carry out the role (for example you may need to provide your own laptop, mobile phone, you incurred working from home costs etc), we can also claim these expenses in your tax return as well.
  • If you are missing any information from the list above, you may be able to access some of it from your Personal Tax Account. If you don’t already have one, you can set one up.

If you’d like us to help you with your self assessment tax return, please contact us.

30th March 2021

What information is needed to complete the employment section in the Self Assessment Tax Return?

If you are employed, and have to submit a self assessment tax return to HMRC each year, there is certain information that we will require in […]
17th August 2020

Can I claim for training and development expenses in my business?

This can be quite a complex area so we would recommend contacting us, or your existing accountant for full information on your circumstances. In summary however: […]
17th August 2020

How does National Insurance work if I am self-employed and employed?

If you are both employed and self-employed, you need to ensure you tell HMRC the correct figures. You are charged Class 1 NICs on any amounts […]
29th June 2020

I’m a student – do I need to file a tax return?

It is a common misconception that as a student you don’t have to file a tax return, or pay any tax. However, if you are a […]
29th June 2020

Payment on Account

If you file a self assessment tax return, you will have to make a Payment on Account (POA). This applied if you have tax to pay […]
21st April 2020

Can I claim for childcare?

No. There aren’t any exceptions to this rule. It is not a business expense (whether you are an employee, limited company director or sole trader). If […]
21st April 2020

Can I claim for my coworking space? (Sole Trader)

The simple answer is – yes! In fact, it can sometimes even work out more cost-efficient to use a coworking space than your home (when you […]
21st April 2020

Can I claim for a desk and chair purchase for my home office? (Sole Trader)

When you set up as a sole trader, you may also decide to set up a work space at home. As long as this work space […]
14th April 2020

Can I include my accountancy fees?

As a sole trader, you may think you can include all your accountancy fees as a tax deductible expense however this is incorrect. You are allowed […]